IOSH Managing Safely
The IOSH Managing Safely Certificate is one of the UK’s most widely held and respected Health and Safety awards. It is designed for managers and supervisors from any organisation – public or private sector – who need to manage health and safety in their teams.
- A three day course which DGA can deliver in a block or one day per week / month that covers health and safety management basics
- Professional, yet enjoyable presentation
- Content based on what delegates need to know in practice
- Clear scenarios managers can relate to
- A range of ready-to-use training tools, including a board game, DVDs and quizzes
To ensure that health, safety and environmental requirements are appreciated by people employed as line managers, and to enable them to review their own departmental systems, introducing new controls or implementing changes as appropriate to ensure safety in the workplace.
On successful completion of the course, delegates should be able to
- Explain 'managing safely'
- Explain the component parts of a recognised safety management system such as HSG65, BS 8800, and OHSAS 18001
- Identify the data and techniques required to produce an adequate record of an incident and demonstrate the procedure for an accident investigation, recognising the human factors involved
- Describe statutory requirements for reporting and procedures for checking for non-reporting
- Define ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’, and describe the legal requirements for a risk assessment
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of a risk assessment technique and the data required for records
- Describe workplace precaution hierarchies
- Prepare and use active monitoring checklists and implement schedules for active monitoring, recording results and analysing records
- Outline the main provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Outline relevant health and safety legislation, codes of practice, guidance notes and information sources such as the Health and Safety Executive.
The qualification is comprised of 8 modules:
- Introducing Managing Safely
Some managers may see health and safety as an add-on to their role – even an intrusion. The first module makes it clear that managers are accountable for their teams, and makes a persuasive case for managing safely.
- Assessing risks
This module defines and demystifies ‘risk’ and ‘risk assessment’. Risk assessments and a simple scoring system are introduced, and delegates carry out a series of assessments.
- Controlling risks
Here the session tackles cutting risks down, concentrating on the best techniques to control key risks, and how to choose the right method.
- Understanding your responsibilities
This module looks at the demands of the law and how the legal system works, and introduces a health and safety management system.
- Identifying hazards
All the main issues any operation has to deal with are covered in this module – entrances and exits, work traffic, fire, chemicals, electricity, physical and verbal abuse, bullying, stress, noise, housekeeping and the working environment, slips, trips and falls, working at height, computers and manual handling.
- Investigating accidents and incidents
The session starts with why accidents should be investigated, and goes on to cover why things go wrong, and how to carry out an investigation when they do.
- Measuring performance
This module explains how checking performance can help to improve health and safety. Delegates learn how to develop basic performance indicators, and get to grips with auditing and proactive and reactive measuring.
- Protecting our environment
A short but effective introduction to waste and pollution leads into a look at how organisations and individual managers can get involved in cutting down environmental impacts.
3 Day Study Option – Intensive study method offering rapid means of gaining the qualification in a structured environment under the guidance of expert tutors.
Evening Study Option – Suited to students who require a more flexible approach to the course.
Flexible Study – DGA can accommodate your needs and requirements, please contact us for further details.
Delivered across multiple training venues in Boldon, London or Edinburgh, or in your own premises
45 minute written assessment consisting of 20 multi-format questions
The IOSH “Managing Safely” certificate is awarded to candidates who attend the course and successfully complete both the written and practical assessment.
Courses planned throughout the year, contact us for details
Call us on +44 (0)191 5197 336 or view our Course Calendar for availabilityCourse Calendar
One of the UK’s most widely held and respected Health and Safety awards, designed for managers and supervisors from any organisation (public or private sector) who need to manage Health and Safety.
The NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety is a globally recognised Health and Safety qualification held by more than 150,000 people in the UK and worldwide.
Suitable for all personnel, in any sector, requiring grounding in the essentials of Health and Safety. Everyone at work should have an understanding of why they must ‘work safely’ – this course offers that!